See the Mountain Housing Council, streaming live from Donner Memorial State Park Visitor Center, Friday January 12, from 8am until 11M.
See the May 10 Good Morning Truckee program, featuring a discussion of the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation Regional Housing Study:
Study History and Introduction
Accommodating the housing needs of a resort community with evolving demographics through times of financial uncertainly has been a substantial challenge for the Truckee North Lake Tahoe region, as it has been in other communities. A variety of efforts have informed the separate housing elements of the Placer County, Nevada County and the Town of Truckee General Plans, but all agree that a regional baseline must be established in order to implement strategies supporting all Truckee and North Lake Tahoe communities.
In November 2014, the Community Collaborative of Tahoe Truckee hosted a housing conversation, moving local leaders to fund and plan a regional study. By Fall 2015, funding coalesced under the guidance of the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation. BAE Urban Economics was engaged to analyze the regional workforce housing market. To understand the whole picture of our region’s housing issues, TTCF brought in outreach partners to collect, record and share the unique perspective of our residents, front line workers and community leaders. This community outreach portion of the Project will lend depth to the BAE’s analysis and proposed strategies.
The Project is funded by Town of Truckee, Workforce Housing Association of Truckee Tahoe, Nevada County and Placer County.
- This project is regional in scale.
- We believe a regional study will provide a collective baseline for the region to agree and act upon.
- The study will represent all aspects of housing issues in the North Lake Tahoe region.
- Together we will work to ensure all voices are heard and integrated.
- We will keep an eye on solutions and innovations in the study process.
In the Media
- Regional Housing Study Announcement – Regional organizations partner to implement a regional housing study. (TTCF, 12/9/2015)
- Housing Crisis: Out of Reach – Tahoe’s housing tales show the severity of the region’s housing crisis. (Moonshine Ink, 2/11/2016)
- Housing Crisis: Tahoe Housing History – How has the history of housing and development shaped Lake Tahoe, and how has it contributed to our current housing crisis? (Moonshine Ink, 3/11/2016)
- Where have all the Employees Gone? – Is the housing crisis making it difficult to keep a high-quality employees at our local businesses? (Moonshine Ink, 3/11/2016)
- Housing Crisis: The Tip of What Could Be – If the local housing crisis isn’t fixed, severe consequences could occur. (Moonshine Ink, 4/8/2016)
- Give Back Tahoe: Regional Housing Study Reveals Sobering Statistics – A glimpse into the survey results of 1700 workforce participants. (TTCF in Sierra Sun, 4/11/2016)
- As part of the Housing Study, a 2016 Workforce Housing Survey was conducted. The survey closed on 4/1. Attend a public forum to hear about the survey’s results and other findings.
- Some preliminary findings are summarized in these tables.
- BAE Urban Economics: North Tahoe Regional Workforce Housing Needs Assessment PDF